Tuesday, August 10, 2010

......... continued!

I realized that i didnt write about the Spaghetti and Meatball dinner that the previous post was so named for! Oh my when I get to talking I can talk all day and I guess I got taken in a tangent. So.....

     Yesterday I was visiting with my friend at their place. They trickle in and out of the place throughout the day because their schedules are various, and overlap each other. One comes home, the other leaves and comes back to find the place empty. That sort of thing. So one comes in and says she is hungry. I relate and agree. She says she doesnt know what to eat. I always know what to eat. Spaghetti and Meatballs. She lights up in the eyes and we get to it. So I rode my bike down the sidewalk to the Southend Market and got two pounds of ground beef and garlic bread. Im back in no time and browning the meat. The water rolls and boils and that always makes my stomach do the same because spaghetti and meatballs might be the most satiating food one could eat in their lifetime. It took a good long while on account we made so much spaghetti and meatballs. We must have had enough there for twelve hungry men. There were six of us. Its a good feeling when you know that you dont need to use discretion when the scoop is in your hand, take as much as you want. It makes for a more comfortable eating experience. We ate. And ate. It was perfect.


         
It was at this moment that I realized something, something big. This is it! Its all I need. If I have the ones I love around a table and we can afford to eat Spaghetti and Meatballs and garlic bread and drink cold water.... then Ive done well for myself. Ive said it once and Ill say it again.... YOU DONT NEED MUCH! Growing up very poor I can remember some of the happiest times were as a family around a table of spaghetti and meatballs. Ive worried that when I graduate and start teaching and getting into normal life that I wont be able to provide for my kids and family, that Ill fail as a father. My friend told me the fact that Im worrying about it now means I wont. Yeah.....that. And that if I can dish out four bucks to feed six and put a spaghetti and meatball smile on their faces then Ill be the kind of father my dad was, a good one who made us smile.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I thought I should leave a comment since I've been reading your blog ever since the ksl newsbit ;)
    I was laughing to myself because one of my friends up at Utah State University does this exact same thing, his reason for living in his car was "Why should i be paying for rent when I'm never there?" He's in the master's program and is constantly on campus and at work. He has a small tent that he sleeps in when it's cold through the winter, showers at the HYPER bldg (sports building), and does the meal plan through school. Smart guys you two are!

    ReplyDelete